Nodes zijn vooraf ingestelde locaties, verpakt in zones van invloed, in onze wereld wat zich in steden van verschillende grootte kunnen vormen. Deze grootten variëren van een klein kamp tot een uitgestrekte metropool. De grootte van de steden hangt af van de bijdrage van de spelers en hoe ver zij de Node hebben gevorderd. Spelers maken de voetafdrduk van de Node niet zelf, maar binnen die voetafdruk hebben ze wel de mogelijkheid om land te bezitten. Spelers die deel uit maken van de overheid voor een specifieke Node zullen de mogelijkheid hebben om bouwtypen en services verder te modificeren, maar voor het grootste gedeelte, zal een Node langs een specifiek pad groeien (denk hiervoor aan NPCs die de steden bouwen, in plaats van PCs die individueel gebouwen en muren neerzetten). Het bijdragegebied van de Node is groter dan de stad zelf, waardoor het mogelijk word voor spelers om te avonturen en nog steeds de gelegenheid hebben om de stad voort te bouwen. We nomen het contributiegebied de "Zone van Invloed", en dat is het gebied waar spelers helpen om de Node waar zij zich in bevinden voort te zetten.
- Players will be able to identify the type of a node at its first stage of development (Expedition) based on its NPC population.
|Divine nodes||Faith and skill/equipment augment focuses||Priests|
|Economic nodes||Trade and merchant focuses||Merchants|
|Military nodes||Combat and class training focuses||Guards|
|Scientific nodes||Artisan and construction focuses||Scholars|
Ashes of Creation allows you, the player, to decide the fate of the world around you. With each Node Type, you can change the flow of resources and goods in the world. Will you grow the largest Economic Metropolis and help guide the riches of Verra, or will you choose another path unlocking new stories filled with allies and enemies?
For example, if a level 4 Scientific Node is destroyed, it will become a Level 0 Scientific Node. It will never be any other Node Type other than a Scientific Node. The location of these Types relates to the influences of the area around the Node. – Margaret Krohn
- 1 Node benefits
- 2 Zone of influence
- 3 Node advancement
- 4 Node development
- 5 Player housing
- 6 Node citizenship
- 7 Node sieges
- 8 Node government
- 9 Underrealm nodes
- 10 Coastal/island nodes
- 11 Underwater nodes
- 12 Relics
- 13 Sharemarkets
- 14 Internal conflict
- 15 Artwork
- 16 See also
- 17 Referenties
Divine node benefits
Divine node benefits are not known at this time.
Economic node benefits
- Up to two economic metropolises may be linked in this manner.
- Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.
- Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.
- Linked economies also connect a the economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.
Economic Nodes that have reached the Metropolis Stage unlock the Superpower “Linked Economy”. Any Economic Node with this Superpower unlocked shares Auction House listings with all the others, meaning that the items listed in one Linked Economy Node can be bid on from any other Linked Economy Node. Linked Economies also connect a Metropolis and any Vassal Economic Nodes belonging to that Metropolis.
The Linked Economy Superpower has the potential to create a massive market that spans the world. This will allow players to attain and sell goods with ease, providing those who have access to these Economic Nodes a faster path to fortune in the lands of Ashes of Creation.
Military node benefits
Scientific node benefits
- Citizens of metropolis scientific nodes may teleport between the metropolis and any of its vassal nodes, regardless of the stage of the vassal node, so long as the vassal node is not at war.
- Citizens of vassal nodes may teleport to their metropolis node and back.
- If there are multiple scientific metropolises, then an airship will provide faster travel between those scientific metropolises for citizens of those nodes and their vassal nodes, so long as the metropolises are not at war.
This will allow Citizens and Vassals of Scientific Metropolises to do things more quickly than others, as fast travel is limited in the world of Ashes of Creation. They’ll be able to exchange goods and information with ease and get to locations in the world at a quicker speed in order to gather crafting materials to create recipes, as well as participate in limited-time events.
Zone of influence
Each Node can form into towns, but are limited by their neighbors. The Nodes have different levels of advancement. There can only be so many of each level. Think of this as advanced settlements needing more elbow room. Nodes encompass more land as they grow and will require more effort to be sustained. This system is a main driver for change in the world because it creates scarcity. As Nodes advance in stages of growth they will lock out neighboring Nodes from progressing, and will absorb their zones of influence.
The main thing that differentiates us from other MMOs is that we have a living, breathing, reactive world... Our world is separated into zones, which are then separated into what we call nodes. Nodes are sort of invisible zones of influence that listen to everything that a player does; so as players gain experience from killing things, gain experience from doing quests, gain experience through crafting things, the node is also gaining that experience. Once a node gains enough experience it levels up and then starts to attract NPCs to it . – Jeffrey Bard
Citizen and non-citizen player activity (questing, gathering, raiding, etc.) within a node's ZOI counts toward that particular node’s advancement (progression). Nodes have seven (7) stages of advancement, with experience thresholds for each stage. When a Node reaches the experience required for its current stage, it advances to the next stage.
|Node stage.||Alternate name.||Timeframe to advance.||Player housing.|
|3.||Village||-||Few days||Freeholds, Static housing|
|4.||Town||-||Many days||Freeholds, Static housing, Apartments|
|5.||City||-||Few weeks||Freeholds, Static housing, Apartments|
|6.||Metropolis||Metro||Many weeks||Freeholds, Static housing, Apartments|
The Development Area of a Node is where civilization will appear as the Node advances. As the Node Stage increases, different buildings, NPCs, and services will become available in the Development Area. The higher the Node Stage, the more complex and populated the Development Area becomes. Development Areas will also vary depending on the Node Type - Economic, Military, Scientific, or Divine; we’ll go into further details on each of those Node Types in future posts in this series. – Margaret Krohn
- Nodes advance to the first stage quickly. This enables NPC services such as vending or banking items.
- The more advanced the node is, the larger its ZOI becomes.
- Less advanced nodes (referred to as vassal nodes) that fall within a more advanced node's ZOI can still gain XP, but must remain at a lower advancement stage than the dominant node.
- A node does not receive XP from the nodes within its ZOI until these nodes have reached their cap.
- Players are moved to safety if they intersect with newly spawned assets during node advancement.
- Citizens of one node can contribute to the advancement of other nodes.
- The exact percentage of advancement from obtaining items or killing monsters is not going to be explicitly known to avoid "gaming" the system.
Different people have different resources invested in nodes progressing and it would be a little "gamey" if you could know exactly what was necessary at that point because that would disincentivize people from participating. – Steven Sharif
- Vassal nodes must remain one node stage below their parent node.
- Vassal nodes give excess experience to their parent node and may have their own vassals; so long as they fall within the parent node’s zone of influence.
- If a node is capped and is both a vassal and has its own vassals, any experience earned from itself or its Vassals is first applied to its own deficit. Experience beyond that is then sent to its parent node.
- Vassals are subject to the government, alliances, wars, taxes, and trade of their parent node, and are able to receive federal aid from them.
- Vassal nodes cannot declare war on their parent node or any of their vassals.
- Citizens of vassals are bound by the diplomatic states of the parent node.
If a Node is a Vassal Node and is capped from advancing further, it first applies any experience earned to its own deficit (see Node Atrophy section), and then applies excess experience earned to its Parent Node. If the Parent Node advances and the Vassal is able to grow, it becomes uncapped. If a Node is capped and is both a Vassal and has its own Vassals, any experience earned from itself or its Vassals is first applied to their own deficit. Any experience beyond that is then sent to its Parent Node. – Margaret Krohn
Zones and progression
Dungeons, Raids, World bosses, Mobs, Quests, Events, Resources, Narratives and other content within a node's ZOI will have a diverse level range; but will scale with the advancement of that node and it's racial influence.
We don’t have a strictly level 25 zone. Instead, that zone might have some level 10 creatures near the road, some level 20 creatures deep in the forest, and some level 30 creatures up the mountain. These ratios will change based on the Nodes that inform them, becoming generally more dangerous as the Node grows. All this civilization attracts the attention of Things-That-Should-Not-Be. This does not mean that wilderness areas are safe, by any means. Some may be safe-er, but all will have dangers that even the most experienced traveler needs to watch out for.
All Nodes have an experience deficit that accumulates daily. The deficit is based on the current level of the Node; experience earned is applied to the deficit, then any excess is added to the Node’s experience pool. At the end of the day, any remaining deficit is subtracted from the Node’s experience pool. If the deficit would cause the Node to drop under the required experience for its current level, certain flags will appear to notify the citizens that all is not well in their Node. After a short period, if the atrophy is not addressed, the Node will then delevel. – Margaret Krohn
There will be many different quests that actually have stages of the storyline; and these stages can actually be failed. You can actually fail a storyline; which sucks when you think about it, but at the same time that risk makes your investment that much more important. – Steven Sharif
Trophy park is an area within Town, City or Metropolis nodes that has available spots for trophies. These trophies show the character names of players who are the first to complete world bosses and dungeon bosses that were spawned as the result of the development of that particular node.
- Server announcements and achievements are designed to encourage groups to experience new content.
- Location of the node.
- Node type.
- Race that contributed most to the node's advancement.
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.
Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
There might even be different directories of the quest that exist for specific races, and even though you're sharing a quest to kill a boss, if you're human and I'm an elf, I will have a different arc potentially that leads in a different direction than you, even though we took the same quest; and this can relate to who the primary cultural contributor is to a node unlocking different arcs for cultures that share the primary culture of a node - not that locks out content but it gives a flavor in a different direction so that not everything is so cookie cutter. – Steven Sharif
Race matters because narratives have paths that also are influenced based on the primary contributing culture to the node... If you're a Niküa and you have you're in a Niküa node that's predominantly Niküa, you're going to have certain services and/or abilities as a member of the Niküa race that other races may not have access to... They may have alternative quest lines, but they won't have specific ones. Now those specific Niküa quests will then relate to the meta-narrative that's present in the world and they'll start to direct some of that meta-narrative; and that'll be beneficial for your kind because it will unlock certain content for your race that other races haven't unlocked yet. So there is an incentive there to see progression along that line now in order to curb the progress of a dominant race. – Steven Sharif
|Appartementen||Instanced.||Stedelijke fase en hoger.||Een per server.|
|Freeholds||Open-world.||Dorpelijke fase en hoger.||Een per account.|
|Statische huisvesting||In een node.||Dorpelijke fase en hoger.||Een per server.|
- Freeholds are limited to one per account.
- Freeholds are approximately half an acre in size. Expansions and upgrades are available as node progression allows.
Buying and selling (Real estate)
- In-node housing will be at a premium, and is expected to be hotly contested.
- The more apartments that have been purchased in a node, the higher the price scales.
- Players will not be able to exceed their allotment of housing in the game.
This will allow players to transfer real property goods. This includes freeholds, this includes static housing, this includes apartments that they may own; and they can sell those because those will have a limited and finite quantity. – Steven Sharif
Rental and leasing concepts are currently under consideration.
Some concepts that we have is going to be rental or leases that could be had allowing players to kind of lease a property for a period of time where they will have control rights over utilizing storage based on the area, controlling the furniture or access point; all that kind of stuff. – Steven Sharif
- 'Burgerschapstickets' kunnen ook burgerschap bieden aan bepaalde nodestages. Deze mechanica zullen verder uitgewerkt worden op basis van testen.
We willen dat deze plaatsen bevolkt worden en dat spelers zich hiernaar aangetrokken zullen voelen. Huisvesting is momenteel voldoende om dat te bereiken. We willen ons echter niet in een hoekje werken waar we geen andere opties meer overhebben. De hoop is dat, ja, burgerschap alleen te verkrijgen is via huisvesting; met de waarschuwing in ons achterhoofd dat we het zullen veranderen als het niet werkt. – Jeffrey Bard
- Een speler kan alleen burger worden bij een enkele node tegelijk. 
- Je kan alleen burgerschap verkrijgen in een node op een account per server.
- Dit is mogelijk veranderd naar een burgerschap per account.
Je account is gebonden aan een enkele vastgestelde burgerschap per server, wat betekent dat je, wanneer je twee alts en je main character op een server hebt, je alleen een burger van een enkele node mag zijn met een van de drie characters... Als je een alt op een andere server hebt, kan die ook een burger van een node zijn. – Steven Sharif
Het veranderen van burgerschap heeft een cooldown van twee weken.
Het eigendom van de huisvesting van een speler wordt niet gewijzigd door veranderingen in burgerschap.
Je kan alleen burger worden van een enkele node. Bijvoorbeeld, een guild wil misschien dat al zijn leden burgen worden van een locatie. Hoe langer een node bestaat, hoe beter de beloningen zijn om burger te zijn van die node. Bij de beloningen kijken we ook naar systemen als ambachtsprogressie, -beloningen en -bonussen en reliekschrijnen. Hier hebben we nog weinig daglicht op geschenen. Deze systemen zullen zo aanlokkelijk zijn dat het in staat is om mogelijk allianties te breken of belegeringen van een node te ontlokken om zo de waren die er mogelijk zijn te verkrijgen. Dus, vanuit een incentief standpunt, hebben we dat op spel. Verder hebben we niet zozeer maxima op het aantal burger die van een node kunnen zijn, maar we hebben wel een zacht maximum. Het wordt met het hoger wordende aantal burgers duurder om deel uit te maken van de node. Dus er is een figuurlijk maximum op hoeveel burgers er in een node kunnen leven. Dat wil dus zeggen dat er een mogelijkheid is dat niet iedereen van een guild in een enkele node kan leven. Dus er is een bepaalde natuurlijke scheiding binnen een guild: een pseudo-factie, mensen die wel en en mensen die niet lid zijn van de node. – Steven Sharif
Node sieges enable players to delevel a node (reverse its advancement) and to ultimately destroy that node entirely. This paves the way for new development and access to the locked content in surrounding nodes. Due to this dynamic, political strife and intrigue play an important role in the structure of the world.
Sieging nodes will not be an easy task for the attackers. Cities and metropolises will have a considerable defensive advantage. Automatic PvE sieges may be initiated against nodes that are not continuously active.
- There will be spoils from successfully sieging a node.
Nodes can be destroyed starting at Level 3 - Village Stage, and are destroyed through sieges... If a siege is successful, then the Node is brought down to Level 0, anyone who was a citizen of that Node is no longer a citizen, and any Freeholds owned by the citizens of the Node are destroyed. Destroyed Freeholds are subject to material loss, and blueprints for them are mailed to the player to utilize for future placement in order to allow the player to keep their Freehold’s layout and structure. – Margaret Krohn
- Nodes can delevel to stage 0 (wilderness) after a successful siege.
- A node cannot delevel more than a single level at a time.
If a Node delevels, it returns to the previous Stage, but keeps the racial style it had before deleveling. A Node cannot delevel more than a single level at a time. For example, a Level 2 Node would become a Level 1, or a Level 1 Node would become a Level 0. If deleveling would cause a Node to lose its Vassals, it does so. When a Node delevels it enters a “safe period,” during which the deficit is temporarily reduced to 0. Once the safe period expires, the Node can once again begin losing experience based on its deficit. – Margaret Krohn
Impact on freeholds
- Players and their allies may defend their freehold for this period of time.
- Structures and guards may be obtained to defend freeholds during this period.
After the two hour period of open combat following a successful node siege, any remaining freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another node may take over the zone of influence of the freehold.
- If a freehold does not reside within the ZOI of a stage three (Village) node or above, it will be destroyed.
Once the vulnerability period is complete, any remaining Freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another Node may take over the Zone of Influence of the Freehold. – Margaret Krohn
- Blueprints are mailed to the player to utilize for future placement.
- Destroyed freeholds are subject to material loss.
- Certificates will track major milestones (such as Furnaces and Homesteads, for example).
- Different races becoming primary contributors.
- Design elements determined by different governments.
- Reactions and interactions with other nodes in the world.
- Divine node governments are chosen from citizens via service oriented quests that prove faith and dedication to the node.
- Economic node governments are able to be bought and sold by citizens with the most money.
- Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.
- Scientific node governments are elected democratically.
- Coordinate the transfer of needed supplies with citizens operating caravans.
- Other leadership powers.
- Enter into trade agreements.
- Directing assets.
- Defensive ability.
The government has a lot of say in the direction of the nodes development. Directing assets, building projects, tax allocation, defensive ability etc. Players have the ability to not only create these cities, but they have the right of self-governance.
There are levers and dials that are present to both the owners of Castles as well as the elected officials of Nodes that during their administration they have the ability to impact and influence the region around them. – Steven Sharif
- Guilds hold separate roles in the direction of the node than the roles held by private citizens.
- Only a certain number of guilds may participate in these roles.
- Separate guild roles are reserved for small, medium and large guilds.
Guild’s also hold separate roles in the direction of the node, than the roles held by private citizens, and only a certain number of guilds may participate in these roles. Separate guild roles are reserved for Small size guilds, medium size guilds and large size guilds.
- This tax doesn't necessarily impact the individual citizen, because citizen's tax levels are determined by their node, but the node's finances are affected by the taxation levied by its parent nodes.
We have conditions that you can set between nodes with regards to either nodes being friendly with each other and acting trade alliances, or they can declare war on nodes similar to how guild wars may function in different games, where those citizens become hostile to each other based on the player government that's elected in the particular node. So those systems all kind of cater to allowing a conflict that's meaningful and that also provides a non-imbalanced relationship between stronger guilds and not as strong guilds. – Steven Sharif
- Progressie Meerdere wegen binnen allianties.
- Guilds Het delen van gemeenschappelijke diensten met Alliantie leden.
- Allianties kunnen de relaties met nodes aan- en uitschakelen.
De inhoud die specifiek rondom allianties, en hun progressie binnen de ontwikkelingen van allianties draaien; en de mogelijkheid tot het delen van gemeenschappelijke diensten tussen guilds die deel uitmaken van de alliantie. Daarnaast denk ik dat het toelaten om allianties bepaalde relaties met de Nodes aan en uit te schakelen als een interactie, toegevoegde waarde kan hebben. Dat gaat zeker een interessante dynamiek geven voor de spelers die deel uitmaken van die specifieke Node waarvan de relatie is aangezet, of van leden van de alliantie. Dus ik denk dat het bouwen van systemen uiteindelijk gaan draaien over het opbouwen van relaties en de kanalen zodat deze spelers een band kunnen creëren, en hoe meer lagen je hebt tussen alle verschillende guilds en spelers, hoe duurzamer de relatie. – Steven Sharif
- Caravan routes will go underground.
- Node sieges occur in the usual manner.
- There will be underrealm Metropolises.
- These nodes will have specific water oriented influences and abilities, services, questlines, that relate to the seas.
- It may be possible to siege a coastal city by sea.
- There won't be nodes underwater or in the water.
- The value of stocks is influenced by world events and the performance of nodes, Social organizations or guilds.
- There is no regulatory commission to restrict the purchase and sale of stocks.
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Ashes of Creation - Screenshots.
- Livestream, 15 December 2017 (1:11:52).
- A reactive world - Nodes.
- Node series part I
- Livestream, 4 May 2017 (15:15).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Ashes of Creation FAQ.
- Interview, 20 April 2018 (7:22).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (55:16).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (39:32).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, 12 December 2018 (14:48).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (50:20).
- Video, 20 April 2017 (0:02).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (55:27).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (28:16).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (30:53).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:36:25).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:35:58).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (33:50).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (53:06).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (54:34).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (21:23).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (47:27).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (1:00:19).
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (36:28).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (33:57).
- Livestream, 20 January 2018 (38:17).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (29:56).
- Video, 25 May 2017 (1:07).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (32:46).
- Interview, 11 mei 2018 (50:47).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (51:12).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (13:25).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (52:01).
- Video, 25 May 2017 (0:02).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (31:51).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (50:47).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (56:42).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (56:38).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (1:23:41).
- Livestream, 9 juli 2018 (27:12).
- Livestream, 19 mei 2017 (53:24).
- Interview, 11 mei 2018 (50:05).
- Interview, 20 oktober 2018 (2:36).
- Video, 5 april 2018 (41:48).
- Livestream, 26 mei 2017 (44:52).
- Video, 4 December 2016 (0:02).
- Video, 30 April 2017 (5:31).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (28:04).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (29:34).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (40:14).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (47:10).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (52:39).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (52:20).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (9:49).
- Livestream, 30 June 2017 (53:57).
- City hall.
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (36:05).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (36:09).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (57:02).
- Video, 5 April 2018 (41:48).
- Podcast, 11 mei 2018 (21:07).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (37:52).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (31:44).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (42:45).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (31:39).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (58:53).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (1:01:28).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (37:51).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (30:53).
- Kickstarter - We Just Broke $1,500,000!
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (18:29).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (28:09).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (49:50).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (29:26).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (11:27).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (5:51).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (40:50).