There is no labor or energy system in Ashes. However, that's not to say that crafting will not be difficult. Crafting is very difficult; but it is because it is difficult that it will be very rewarding as well. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Crafting professions
- 2 Recipes
- 3 Race or class locked crafting
- 4 Crafting mechanics
- 5 Crafting materials
- 6 Crafted items
- 7 Artisan supply chain
- 8 Upgrading items
- 9 Repairing items
- 10 Escrow system
- 11 Caravan components
- 12 Ship building
- 13 Backpacks
- 14 Artwork
- 15 Community guides
- 16 See also
- 17 Referenties
- Armor smithing
- Jewel crafting
- Ship building
- Siege weapons
- Weapon smithing
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
There are many different ways to achieve recipes. We want to take crafting and house the location of those recipes throughout different progression paths, so that not everything is pigeon-holed into one way forward. – Steven Sharif
- Drops from monsters.
- Completing quest lines.
- Becoming Mayor may unlock specific node-related recipes.
- Progression within a social organization, such as the Thieves' guild or Scholar's academy.
- Killing a legendary boss.
- Gaining a title.
- By constructing certain buildings on a freehold.
- Based on status within a religious organization/church.
- Deconstructing/dissassembling rare item drops from bosses can yield recipes that can be used to replicate that item.
- There may be a royalty system where players can license recipes to other players for a certain amount of time and collect royalties.
We talked about having this idea where if somebody discovers a recipe they get exclusive access to that recipe for a given amount of time similar to a patent; and then they can license that recipe out to other crafters so they can use the recipe and eventually that timer runs out and then everybody can use it, but we wanted to reward people for experimentation and going out in the world and finding something new. – Steven Sharif
Race or class locked crafting
Skill based crafting mechanics have been considered and may be a part of the final design.
We did discuss that type of a feature where the skill of the crafter would grant a greater window of skill-based type crafting. So the higher master level you have of crafting a certain item, the greater your potential to impact the quality of that item might be... The concern obviously that we have when going into developing this type of system is that we don't want what is a fun - you know for lack of a better term - mini game to be something that becomes repetitive and kind of makes it monotonous... If when we start to flesh out the crafting system and we take a look at that interaction of melding crafting, the actual activity of making something, there is room in the design sheet for different iterations of that particular action; and we may see something come about that can be skill oriented, but that's something that's going to require a lot of testing and different iterations from a design standpoint. – Steven Sharif
Materials (processed goods) are obtained in the following ways:
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
- Highest tier items will be a combo of both crafted and boss dropped.
- The rarity of the items will be commensurate with the effort required to gather, process and craft the items.
- It may be possible for crafters to determine what their crafted items will look like.
- A crafter's name is embedded in the items they craft.
We believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.
Crafting and World Bosses will be the main way to obtain high-level gear. There are some exceptions to this in the form of Legendary items (single server drops or discoveries), and other equipment that may drop wholesale, but we want Artisans and top tier raiding to produce the lion’s share of high level, high effectiveness equipment. – Sarah Flanagan
Skills and stats on gear
Item creation suite
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- What can be gathered is discovered by trial and error and learning their visuals.
- Gathering within a node's Zone of influence (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example you know if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be kind of a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- Buildings can be placed on a freehold to process resources.
- There isn't RNG in crafting but there may be a small amount of RNG in enchanting.
- Over-enchanting items may come with a potential risk that the item is destroyed.
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses.
- Vertical enchantments include risks.
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- This doesn't make the item more powerful, but instead more applicable to different situations, and less so to others.
- This type of enchanting assumes no risk, just time and effort.
- Non-crafted items will have default repair skills, costing mats equal to its crafted equivalent.
- 0% durability will unequip items, increasing their repair costs.
- Destroyed gear can be reforged at a player stall using a portion of the materials that were necessary to craft the item.
We're going to have a UI... you're gonna put the resources in or they're gonna put the resources in. It'll be like an escrow system and then once [the job] is complete you'll get the item they'll get the money.
- Armor rating.
- Hit points.
- Number of hired NPC guards.
- Speed, Hit points, and Damage abilities.
- Aesthetic customization.
- The higher level the backpack, the greater the inventory space.
- Different backpack types cater to different activities. For example:
In order to roleplay you need to be able to represent kind of what your character is doing in that world and you know part of what animation is doing is creating these sockets on the let's say the belt or the backpack that you know can plug in certain types of props or items that are created by the character team. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (15:14).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (17:08).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:31:39).
- Video, 30 April 2017 (10:07).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (5:25).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (35:11).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (28:38).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (26:00).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (22:36).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (1:00:18).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (27:20).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (34:15).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (17:31).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (14:45).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (24:19).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (59:58).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (24:20).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (28:09).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (49:50).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (29:26).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (38:30).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (24:18).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (53:28).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (10:48).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:00:07).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (58:55).
- Podcast, 13 May 2017 (25:55).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (32:22).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (20:56).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (40:41).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (50:45).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (36:29).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (1:09:17).