- Caravans are for transfer of personal goods and quests as well as supplies for castles and nodes.
- Caravans can transport goods for more than one player.
- 1 Caravan types
- 2 Caravan inventory
- 3 Caravan components
- 4 Initiating caravans
- 5 Caravan PvP
- 6 Caravan destruction
- 7 Artisan supply chain
- 8 Caravan skins
- 9 Zergs
- 10 Artwork
- 11 See also
- 12 Referenties
Quest driven caravans
- These are initiated by players with a diverse choice of routes and launch windows, making them difficult to zerg.
- Initiating a caravan from one node to another will create a PvP objective that players will need to defend while it moves along its chosen route to the selected destination.
- Node-based caravan stats and capabilities scale with their node's advancement.
- Roads will upgrade as nodes advance. Different roads will dictate the speed and type of caravan required (off road vs on road).
The caravan system is designed to be initiated by the player. Which means, information of the caravans launch time and route, should be a closely guarded secret. Routes will also be diverse, and the world is large, so it might behoove you to scout the route ahead before a launch. Fast travel in our game is also limited, which means unless the guild had knowledge of your plans before hand, it is likely that they will be unable to organize and travel to a location. As far as mass guilds securing trade routes, there is always a bigger fish in the pond. Also caravans will have limitations on carrying capacity and launch windows that will segment mulitiple caravans by several minutes, which would space out the caravans, making it difficult to "zerg" a defense. – Steven Sharif
Personal (Self-directed/player driven) caravans are initiated by the player, who essentially "becomes the caravan". These are land-based and water-based (naval caravans) that the player drives and directs.
- These are currently designed for a single driver.
- Personal caravans can be launched from any point of storage.
- Personal caravans are capable of transitioning to/from naval caravans.
- Personal caravans will come in varying sizes and capacities.
- By default player caravans will have a racial appearance that influences the types of animals that are moving the caravan.
- Naval caravans are capable of transitioning to and from land caravans at the point of intersection of land and ocean.
- These caravans will come in varying sizes and capacities.
- By default naval caravans have a racial appearance. Players will be able to apply caravan skins to change this appearance.
Certain ships can be hijacked. Naval caravans can not be hijacked. The cargo on a trade ship will be similar to caravans in that the ship must be destroyed in order to capture the loot from its wreckage.
- Mules can carry roughly 10 times more than backpacks. Caravans can carry roughly 10 times more than mules.
- Caravans will have carrying capacity limits and customizable stats, such as defensive points, speed and number of hired NPC guards.
- Inventory expansion and weight management training certificates are available in the Galleria at City stage economic nodes.
- Armor rating (damage mitigation).
- Hit points.
- Number of hired NPC guards.
- Mounts bred through the Animal husbandry profession can be applied as certificates toward the construction of caravans.
- The resources it will carry.
- If it is initiated for a specific quest in a nearby node.
- If the goods are intended for trade or warehousing in a regional marketplace.
- The recipient of the caravan (e.g. a Temple within the nearby node).
When you initiate a caravan you're going to be able to determine the resources of the caravan is going to have in it. You're going to be able to determine whether or not this caravan has been initiated for a specific quest in a nearby node. You're going to be able to deliver goods for trade or to just warehouse in a new region, so that you have access to that local market. – Steven Sharif
When you're in a nearby node that you need to drive caravan to... you're going to have an option from the NPC within a nearby node to dictate the caravan launch as a recipient of the temple yeah. – Steven Sharif
- Coordinate the transfer of needed supplies with citizens operating caravans.
- Other leadership powers.
- Enter into trade agreements.
- Directing assets.
- Defensive ability.
The government has a lot of say in the direction of the nodes development. Directing assets, building projects, tax allocation, defensive ability etc. Players have the ability to not only create these cities, but they have the right of self-governance.
There are levers and dials that are present to both the owners of Castles as well as the elected officials of Nodes that during their administration they have the ability to impact and influence the region around them. – Steven Sharif
- Guilds hold separate roles in the direction of the node than the roles held by private citizens.
- Only a certain number of guilds may participate in these roles.
- Separate guild roles are reserved for small, medium and large guilds.
Guild’s also hold separate roles in the direction of the node, than the roles held by private citizens, and only a certain number of guilds may participate in these roles. Separate guild roles are reserved for Small size guilds, medium size guilds and large size guilds.
- Players will be able to state their intentions to attack, defend or ignore via a user interface.
- A group will be required to successfully attack a caravan.
- Caravan components may also drop when a caravan is destroyed. These components may be salvageable by the caravan owner or by other players, in the case of high grade components.
- Caravans drop certificates for heavy goods that are redeemable at the origin node for a portion of the goods.
The caravan becomes a wreckage upon destruction and that wreckage is an interfaceable item that players can come up to and they can receive certificates for a portion of the goods inside the caravan. Now the idea with that certificate is that it must be taken back to the point of origin, or at least a region within that point of origin. We'll see about that last part because there's a few things I want to test in the Alpha from a gameability standpoint. The reason why for this is because what might happen is you may have some type of collaboration within a guild to kind of game that system. Hey I'm gonna reach this caravan just to the border of the region and then we're all destroy it, collect the goods and take it to you know that region's warehouse; and have to skip out on the last half of the way. So it must successfully reach its destination before the goods can be considered a part of that region. – Steven Sharif
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
List of caravan skins
- Raid and dungeon bosses have specific mechanics that players need to learn and react to. Zergs that are not aware of these mechanics or react to them appropriately will be wiped.
- There is a give-and-take for guilds that want to see a larger number of members as opposed to a more focused group that may be a part of an alliance.
We're very cognizant of the fact that we don't want to see zerging be a mechanic that's utilized by guilds to accomplish content or just to steamroll over sieges... There are specific mechanics that we are working on that will be seen through the testing phases that relate to a degree of understanding of certain systems that can't just be overrun with numbers. – Steven Sharif
The best way that I found in games I played previously to take down a zerg is to cause drama from within... It's that conflict inside of the politicking that happens in that big organization. If we provide opportunities for division to occur then it also provides stability to keep a server healthy away from that zerg mentality also... If we approach the castle siege and we've destroyed the walls and we're in the throne room and we're about to cast on the penultimate thing and I at this time am just so excited from what's happening that I'm like "screw it I'm gonna go for it". It's gonna be mine. I'm gonna take the taxes for the next month. I'm gonna take all the gear from the castle. I'm gonna take everything... We kind of want that political intrigue to be present in the game. – Steven Sharif
Objective-based game play helps to balance the zerg mentality.
I always feel that if you balance based on groups that in your balance focus is to incorporate features that play well from a player versus player perspective as well as a player versus environment perspective: Having support classes, having DPS and tanks that can obstruct movement and/or create you know bottlenecks on the field and stuff like that. I think a well-rounded raid it will perform better against a non well-rounded raid, however then you incorporate the second aspect of numbers; and that's where again mobility, organization, leadership tactics. Having objectives in gameplay that make those important helps to balance the zerg mentality that a lot of guilds can tend to have. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:03:35).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Video, 16 July 2019 (0:00s).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (45:20).
- Interview, 20 January 2017 (4:19).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (28:21).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Ramstone Hauler.
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (19:43).
- Video, 15 July 2019 (2:12).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (45:48).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (58:05).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (15:46).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (56:58).
- Livestream, 23 August 2017 (28:22).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:28:38).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (1:20:03).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (53:06).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (45:19).
- Livestream, 27 April 2017 (6:11).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (44:57).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (40:41).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (20:56).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (46:36).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (43:19).
- Livestream, 30 June 2017 (53:57).
- Livestream, 12 December 2018 (14:48).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (9:49).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- City hall.
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (36:05).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (47:27).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (36:09).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (1:27:28).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (40:40).
- Livestream, 15 December 2017 (1:04:25).
- Interview, 15 April 2019 (26:59).
- Interview, 15 April 2019 (28:28).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (24:18).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (23:26).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (25:18).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (57:37).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (44:20).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (11:52).