As a player progresses with their primary archetype (primary class), they will have the opportunity to choose a secondary archetype to augment their primary skills with effects from their secondary archetype (secondary class). The combination of primary and secondary archetypes is referred to as a Class.
If a Fighter were to choose Mage as a secondary archetype, the fighter would become a Spellsword. This combination opens up augments that can be applied to skills in their primary skill tree. Fighters have a Rush skill that allows them to rush towards a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down. A Mage's escape augment could be applied to the rush skill, which would now teleport the player to the target; thus eliminating the charge time on the skill.
- Augments to primary skills will fundamentally change the way the ability works - adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary archetype/class.
- It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
- 1 Classes by archetype combination
- 2 Class abilities
- 3 Changing/switching
- 4 Class trials
- 5 Racial abilities
- 6 Roles
- 7 Weapons and Armor
- 8 PvX
- 9 Alpha-0
- 10 Alpha-1
- 11 Ashes of Creation Apocalypse classes
- 12 See also
- 13 Referenties
Classes by archetype combination
- There are four primary groups of augments assigned to each base archetype. Balancing of augments relates to the four augment groups for each of the eight archetypes.
There will be match ups in 1v1s where one class will be superior to another; and that application should be a rock-paper-scissors dynamic. We want there to be counter-play between the different classes... Instead it's going to be a group focused balance, where as long as you have the diversity of classes present, that's going to be an equal level playing field. It's going to be very dependent on skill and strategy. – Steven Sharif
Certain archetypes are capable of moving the gap between their counterpart per-se. If I am a Tank archetype and a Mage is my counter, I can take a Mage secondary and kind of bridge the divide slightly; and then move my identity that direction ever so slightly. – Steven Sharif
- Augments to primary skills will fundamentally change the way the ability works - adapting what the ability once did to incorporate the identity of the secondary class.
- Choosing the same primary and secondary archetype increases focus on that archetype.
- Each skill in the primary tree has a minimum of four augment choices from the secondary tree.
- Players receive skill points as they level. These can be used to level up skills within their skill tree.
- It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
- In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.
- Changing the augmentations on your skills will require you to go to a NPC in a Village node or higher.
- Active skills could look totally different after an augment gets applied.
Key for the augment system is that these augments are meant to demonstrate a core identity of the secondary class type you've chosen. So if from the eight archetypes whatever you choose as your secondary, you're going to receive a choice of augments that relate to some core ideal of that class. You know like a tank is about controlling the battlefield, is about surviving. The mage is about dealing damage and elements and ability in AoEs. The rogue is going to be about stealth and critical damage. So those augments are going to to play towards those identities. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind the system is that you're kind of skirting the line through these augmentations of your role, right. We have the traditional holy trinity that's present in class designs for MMOs and it's often that those either are not deviated at all or completely deviated from entirely. The augment is to kind of offer a balance between that where you still maintain the semblance of that trinity system while offering the opportunity to customize your play experience towards one of the other angles in the triangle. – Steven Sharif
These are the types of systems that we want to put in place where groups of a single primary archetype can come together to summon these types of effects that play off of what the identity of that archetype is. – Steven Sharif
When players choose their primary class, it’s not just dictating how the next several hundred hours of gameplay will go... It’s only the primary class that cannot be changed. And hey, that’s what alts are for!
- This may be done through a quest system.
- Players will likely need to speak to a NPC in a Village node or above to enable them to change their secondary archetype and skill augments.
The secondary class choice, which comes after some time getting used to the world of Verra, will be more fluid. If you choose the Fighter and the Rogue to make a Shadowblade, but eventually want to try your hand at Summoning to make a Bladecaller, you’ll be able to do so.
We don't want you to be able to change your secondary class or the augments you have applied out in the open. We want you to have to make a conscious choice somewhere at a NPC. The level of node necessary for that particular NPC to be available will likely be either at the Village stage or above. So, if you are far out in the wilderness exploring – and we have no instant teleportation in the world – you need to be conscientious of what your choices are; and not be able to change them on-the-fly. – Steven Sharif
- Races are not gender or class locked.
- Some classes may work better with certain races but nothing is enforced.
- The race "seeds" a player's base stats.
- The primary archetype grows the base stats.
- The secondary archetype (class) further grows the stats.
Different races have different stat compositions. Those stats can be important, but we also don't want them to dictate any kind of meta for what classes are best used with different races. – Steven Sharif
- Although traditional roles are present, players should not feel branded by their primary archetype.
- Skill augments available through the class system allow characters to be personalized outside of their primary role.
- Players can also double down on their archetype choice to strengthen their primary role.
We have our eight base archetypes; and the trinity is a pretty strong influence with regards to the eight base classes. However the area in which we begin to play with that line between the trinity is in the secondary classes that you can pick. That's where be begin to blend those spaces and allow people a little bit of influence over their role and whether or not they fit perfectly within a particular category within the trinity. – Steven Sharif
Weapons and Armor
Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
We zien onszelf graag als een PvX spel, omdat de systemen als PvP, PvE en ambacht allemaal met elkaar verweven zijn: ze zijn onafhankelijk van elkaar... Ons ontwikkelingssysteem heeft die onafhankelijkheid van de genoemde systemen echt nodig. Je hebt ambachtslieden nodig om de beste spullen te verkrijgen. Je hebt PvP'ers nodig om steden en kastelen veilig te stellen en te bemachtigen. Je hebt PvE'ers nodig om world bosses te doden voor zeldzame materialen om vervolgens spullen te maken. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation is een PvX-spel. Spelers zullen automatisch beide PvP- en PvE-elementen tegenkomen. Het is onwaarschijnlijk dat een speler zich puur kan focussen op alleen PvP of PvE.
- Er is een balans tussen PvP en PvE in Ashes of Creation.
- Sommige servers zullen meer op PvP gefocust zijn dan andere servers.
- Er zal geen verschil zitten tussen PvP- en PvE-uitrusting.
- Voor vooruitgang in het spel zal meer nodig zijn dan alleen PvE-elementen.
- Alle statistieken gerelateerd aan een spelers combat-effectiviteit in PvX.
Wij zijn zeer duidelijk in ons doel en onze filosofie en we snappen dat dit niet naar ieders wens zal zijn. Maar, weet je, er is een belangrijke wederkerige relatie tussen de inhoud gerelateerd aan PvE en aan PvP en ze vullen elkaar aan. Ze zijn elkaar katalisator: hun voortgang, hun ontwikkeling. Het zijn dingen waar mensen waarde aan hechten en waarbij ze kunnen zien dat ze iets verdient of verloren hebben. Dat lokt een emotionele reactie van de speler uit: hij heeft tijd in iets gestoken dat uiteindelijk slaagt of faalt; PvP staat het toe dat het element kan worden geïntroduceerd in de gameplay. En we zijn er zeer duidelijk in dat dit ons doel is: de relatie tussen risico en beloning, de prestatiegerichte mentaliteit. Niet iedereen zal een winnaar zijn, dat is niet erg. – Steven Sharif
- Four playable archetypes: Cleric, Mage, Ranger, Tank.
- Two playable races: Kaelar, Empyrean.
- Gender selection.
- Progression to level 20.
- 4 playable races.
- Character creator.
- 8 base archetypes.
- Portions of player housing.
- Portions of crafting/artisan classes.
- Nodes will be fully featured.
- 120 km2 of world map.
- This is 25% of the total world space.
- Social organizations.
- Name reservations.
- Merchant systems.
- Player trading.
- Two to three servers.
- 1,500 concurrent server population.
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse classes
- Weapon skills are applied to augment a class' base skills.
- Base class skills may be able to be selected from a host of available skills for that class based on a player's progression within that season.
We had a little bit of an idea that we're going to explore with regards to each of the classes having a range of skills and abilities that players can customize that skill kit based on their progression within a season, let's say; and that progression can be gained from any of the modes and it would grant you the ability to kind of customize that skill kit for the before the siege mode or the horde mode. But that's something that might come at a later date. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse healing
- Healing skills are proximity based: Centered on self or centered on projectile impact.
- There will be healing potion bursts (healing grenades) that will grant life to allies.
- Healing is part of Class kits that come into play during the testing of Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle sieges.
We have a few design theories on action combat and healing to began with phase one. Part of that will be the implementation of a class system into the castle siege and horde mode of phase one. Those will be kits that play out as skills available from an action perspective. You'll be able to target in proximity, basically so positioning is going to matter. Importantly, for healers being close to the individual party members you wish to heal. Additionally, you'll have reticle based healing methods. This would be a template that could be launched in that direction as a pulse of heels or augments. So there's a lot of different systems are playing with that you'll see more of when we get to those when we get to the castle siege system and the Ashes of Creation Apocalypse horde mode. – Steven Sharif
- Ashes of Creation class list.
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (19:05).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:40:17).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (35:11).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (59:28).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (1:01:01).
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:02s).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:09:22).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (41:56).
- Livestream, 16 November 2017 (30:02).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (20:45).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (53:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (1:00:44).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (22:27).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (49:20).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (37:43).
- Podcast, 4 May 2017 (17:02).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (20:07).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (21:21).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (43:30).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (35:58).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (25:52).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (37:25).
- Group dynamics blog.
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (46:04).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:40:16).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (47:05).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (45:37).
- Video, 16 april 2018 (1:32).
- PvX definitie.
- Livestream, 12 mei 2017 (24:52).
- Livestream, 5 mei 2017 (33:25).
- Livestream, 15 mei 2017 (14:05).
- Livestream, 1 juni 2017 (37:39).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (14:57).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (30:31).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (37:10).
- Video, 30 August 2017 (3:36).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (47:57).
- Livestream, 31 October 2018 (22:46).
- Livestream, 31 October 2018 (24:37).
- Video, 5 April 2018 (1:01:40).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:10:44).
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (1:02:99).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (18:55).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (19:02).
- Livestream, 11 January 2019 (41:20).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (11:38).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (8:16).
- Livestream, 11 January 2019 (58:40).
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (19:40).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (12:05).
- Interview, 6 December 2018 (2:04).