- Animals found through taming can be bred to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities.
- Mounts, such as horses are an early gateway into the Animal husbandry profession.
- Animal husbandry will be an exploritative profession.
Many animals that can be tamed and bred through the animal husbandry profession can be found in herds across the lands of Verra. These herds represent a gatherable resource, of sorts, that masters of the animal husbandry profession may then use to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities. Mounts play a large role in Ashes of Creation, and animals like the horse are an early gateway into the unlimited possibilities that await those skilled in the arts of husbandry.
- Animals can be found in herds across the lands of Verra that represent a gatherable resource.
- Genetic lines react to the type of mount or creature that has been captured or tamed.
- Combat proficiency may be required in order to tame wild beasts.
- Rare creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific traits.
- Special mounts such as Dragons are not breedable.
- Mounts that are bred through animal husbandry may be sold at auction.
- Animals have a unique ID that is tied to the husbandry chat (compendium) that takes into account possible combinations between animals. There will be odd combinations, but there will be limits to what is possible.
- Discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
Animal husbandry involves a tree of its own that players get to discover via what pairings they choose... That's going to be a pretty fun aspect of creating rare mounts that haven't been seen in the world. – Steven Sharif
- The genetic system will involve trial and error to determine what yields or combinations are possible. This will incorporate an element of RNG.
- This may grant access to specific types of mounts.
- A dominant genetic trait might be discovered with a pairing or there may be a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed of species.
- These chances are improved based on the player's advancement within the Animal husbandry profession.
Each of these animals have a unique ID. There's going to be essentially this husbandry chart that takes into account potential combinations between animals that you have. So there's gonna be a little bit of obviously trial and error as players begin to explore this genetic system to determine what yields are possible; and those yields are obviously going to have an element of RNG to them as well. So you know you may pick up on a more dominant genetic trait within the pairing, or you may have a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed of species; and then those chances obviously get augmented by your advancement within the Animal Husbandry profession. So a person who's more experienced in pairing of certain animals, and even the specific types of pairings, will increase their likelihood- their RNG chances of essentially birthing a unique mount; and being able then to sell those on an open auction. They can also be applied as certificates toward the construction of particular caravans as well. – Steven Sharif
There are stages of development within breeding.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
- Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
- An area used to breed animals within the Animal husbandry profession.
- A building for housing mounts.
Mount abilities and stats
- Mounts will provide resistances, defensive abilities, skills, charge abilities, and attacks.
- Mounts will have varied speeds.
- There will be smaller mules.
Since ancient times, the hippogryph has been a symbol of noble and majestic strength for numerous cultures. They are cunning and fiercely independent creatures. A rarity it is, for one to have the opportunity to get close enough without being torn apart by their piercing beaks and talons. However, those fortunate enough to form a bond with a hippogryph will find them to be loyal beings, almost to a fault. It is a sight to see a hippogryph and its rider leading the vanguard of a prestigious army. Such is the inspiration they bring.
- Combat pets will incorporate some of their owner's power in a way that keeps the power progression horizontal.
- Class specific appearance.
- Race specific appearance.
- Through in-game items.
- Through cosmetics that will be offered.
- Potentially through a summon creation suite, based on the Animal husbandry system.
The other cool thing about the you know summoner that we want to implement is kind of a summon creation suite where you can customize the appearance potentially based on what you found in the world. Something that's already going to be implemented with the animal husbandry system; and there's no reason why we can't take that technology- that you know system and apply it elsewhere such as with the Summoner. – Steven Sharif
- This will affect Farming and Animal husbandry professions.
- Since players may only have one Freehold, they must choose their Artisan specializations accordingly if they wish to place it in the Underrealm.
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (28:07).
- Blog: A noble steed
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (28:42).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (33:07).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (12:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:04:12).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (43:19).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (12:34).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (39:42).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:02:02).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (53:39).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:22:24).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (39:02).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (33:17).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (57:18).
- Lore of the Hippogryph.
- Video, 27 June 2019 (3:42).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:24:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:07:55).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (0:58).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:26:09).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (24:30).