Naval combat involves different types of Ships with varying capabilities, armaments and roles to play out on the high seas. There will be a balance and counterbalance between ships from PvP and PvE perspectives.
- The result of events (such as guild wars or node wars) between the parties.
- When the ships move into an area that automatically flags them for combat.
- As the result of open-world PvP, utilizing the flagging and corruption system.
Guns and gunpowder
I previously said there was not going to be gunpowder in Ashes. What there will be is something very similar to gunpowder but has a more arcane nature to it. It's not necessarily going to be explainable through the conventional means of chemistry, metallurgy, and physics and what not, but rather the Essence is the core component of many types of magic, one of which is obviously going to be evocation type magic; and that evocation can have some explosive tendencies. – Steven Sharif
As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges. A potion launcher is an example of the arcane energies that can be mastered in order to facilitate these highly destructive alchemical blends that can be created. – Steven Sharif
- Ship creation is generally delegated to players. There won't be many non-player-owned ships.
- Permissions will be present to allow other players to access ship functions who are in the same party or raid, such as weapons, anchors, utility items, and the ship's helm to navigate the ship.
- Players will have quests that navigate them toward creating a personal vessel at around level 10-15.
- Ships may be able to be summoned in rivers (or other bodies of water) depending on the depth of the water.
- Naval caravans are initiated when a land-based caravan intersects with an ocean.
You can summon your ships up but you'll need to summon them from land, which means that if something happens to your armada out at sea you won't have backups to just summon immediately in the middle of the fight... They'll have to do so from shore somewhere from some port or harbor. – Steven Sharif
Ship building is a crafting profession that is able to construct ship components based on blueprints that unlock capabilities that scale with their progression within the ship building profession.
- Movement, Durability, Speed, Turn rate, Hit points, Defensive and Damage abilities.
- Weapon slots.
- Aesthetic customization.
- Ship components can be sold to other players.
You can have the base value of a hull. That hull might have certain placements that are available when it comes to utility slots and/or weapon slots for the ship. Essentially you are going to have that hull itself be augmented by constructibles via the ship building profession. – Steven Sharif
- Ships may only be crafted or upgraded in harbor crafting stations that are unlocked by the advancement of coastal nodes.
You will not need to be a ship builder profession to construct ships. The shipbuilder profession particularly they have the ability to craft components of the ships which increases the ship's capabilities, defenses, speeds, turn rate, offense and defense, you know all those types of things and then they can sell those to other players. – Steven Sharif
I mean traditionally if we did not use dynamic destruction, that what we would use is decals to simulate damage on the ship based on an overall hit point value. At certain hit point values we would swap out the mesh to show a more destructive state potentially; and that and you know at that point for a user in regards to immersion you know both are very similar from the immersion factor right? – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 2017-07-28 (47:53).
- Livestream, 2019-06-28 (1:12:08).
- Livestream, 2021-04-30 (1:06:41).
- Livestream, 2018-09-27 (54:02).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (22:22).
- Livestream, 2017-06-16 (43:01).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (17:57).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Tea transport.
- Livestream, 2018-10-31 (54:21).
- Livestream, 2021-05-28 (1:52:15).
- Livestream, 2021-09-24 (1:26:46).
- Livestream, 2021-07-30 (1:14:04).
- Livestream, 2020-05-29 (1:28:38).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (11:51).
- Livestream, 2020-07-25 (1:59:09).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (48:05).
- Livestream, 2017-05-19 (50:45).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (23:30).
- Livestream, 2018-07-09 (30:35).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (36:29).
- Livestream, 2019-07-26 (1:07:22).